Saturday, November 1, 2008

Week 1: Yo tengo la alegría en mi corazón!

Last weekend I went to Rosarito, Mexico with my brother's church. It was my first time to the city of Rosarito after having been to Tijuana and Mexicali for house building and VBS trips over the years. 



We arrived at Rosarito Calvary Chapel on Saturday around noon and went grocery shopping for the dinner we were going to prepare that night. Then we headed over to an orphanage ran by a man and his wife who are both Christians and who came across as the nicest most humble people I've met. 

The children we were visiting have come from homes where their parents have either abandoned them or got in trouble with the law and are currently incapable of raising children. 


The ages ranged from about 5-15 from what I could tell. It was my first time to an orphanage and so cool to interact with them (regardless if my spanish was poor, it was good enough to converse with a girl named Kenya for a good 20 minutes, 2o minutes! Yeah! ps: we both had a test on monday, mine was a mid term in spanish so our conversation was the perfect study guide... haha). 
Kenya and Allison

I met a kid named Jose and he had a hard time understanding how to pronounce my name so with his squirt bottom, I helped him spell it out in the dirt. His friends crowded around and tried hard saying, "Garrrrit?... Garrrret?..."

After lunch, my brother started playing some songs in spanish. The kids were surprised that a tall white guy with a huge fro could sing songs that they were familiar with.


Later that afternoon, we scoped out all the good taco shacks in town and came across one that according to our translator was one of the best in town. It definitely was some of the best mexican food I've ever had. I know that's a big statement but come on! . . . it's mexico people! (although, san diego has some legit comida de mexicano). 

Then we went back to the Calvary Chapel and put on a dinner for the volunteers and leaders of the church. It was really encouraging to see them so stoked to live for the same God that we strive to please everyday. The pastor of the church was an American and had a translator so it was easy for those who didn't know much espanol to stay tuned in. Later that night we had a bonfire in a pit on the top roof of the church that overlooked the city of Rosarito. If you live on the coast of San Diego, you have most likely taken notice of the intense amount of fog lately and this was the same down south as well. The fog rolled in pretty heavy around sunset and late into the night made the city look pretty spooky. 

We're ready to get a good nights sleep! 
(I should've packed a pillow &/or a sleeping pad. 
note to self: sleeping on tile w/ neither is a bad idea)

Overall, it was a refreshing and eye opening day in a half. To know that 30 minutes south of my living quarters is a country that is drastically different than what I have the privilege of taking part in everyday is hard to fathom. I came back grateful, longing to act justly, and love every subtle blessing that I could ever think is mine. My heart often lingers to the place of compassion in sight of the life that those orphans must live each day. I often wonder what life would be like for me today if I grew up in their circumstance. It makes me reevaluate where I place my "things" on a scale of values in accordance to how our Creator calls us to live. If there is anything I would share with you from this experience it is to LOVE on your parents today and to LOVE on your heavily Father by living your life in accordance to the life that Jesus calls us to live. The root of what is humble and just. 

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8

Thanks for listening, 
Garrett


No comments: