Thursday, August 27, 2009

Old endings. New beginning...

This blog will entail the following:
-reflections on this summer
-our last little video, quite ridiculous might I add
-highlights of the last two weeks
-lots of shots

Summer of '09 has come to a close.


While still trying to process everything that I was a part over the last 3 months, I felt compelled to share my final thoughts and even use this blog to help me sift through the fullness of what I experienced this summer.

Here's a quick summary of where this 10 week tour took us:
-Hemet, CA :: Hemet Church of the Nazarene (SoCal District Assembly)
-Carlsbad, CA :: Las Flores Church of the Nazarene
-Phoenix, AZ :: North Gate Community Church
-Prescott, AZ :: AZ High School - Camp Pinerock
-Glendale, AZ :: Glendale Church of the Nazarene
-Prescott, AZ :: AZ Junior High - Camp Pinerock
-Nevada City, CA :: Sacramento High School - Diamond Arrow Camp
-Coolidge, AZ :: Coolidge Church of the Nazarene
-Albuquerque, NM :: Retreat
-Roswell, NM :: Roswell Church of the Nazarene
-Ruidoso, NM :: New Mexico Sr/Jr High - Bonita Park
-Phoenix, AZ :: Phoenix First Church of the Nazarene
-Springville, CA :: Central California Senior High - Quaker Meadow
-Victorville, CA :: High Desert Harvest Church
-Big Bear Lake, CA :: Southern California High School - Pine Summit
-Apple Valley, CA :: Apple Valley Church of the Nazarene
-Springville, CA :: Central California Junior High - Quaker Meadow
-Bakersfield, CA :: Ridgeview Community Church

As I reflect on the stories that we created and the laughs that we had, I think about how incredibly blessed I am to have been given the opportunity to play a part in Radiance. Some of my most grateful moments rest in the conversations I had with the team and those we met at camps and churches. To know that God used me in some capacity to help bring hope, renewal, joy, peace, encouragement, and an awareness of God's presence to generations young and old, leaves me grateful for a grace that overflows from a God of forgiveness who continually uses our unworthy lives for His dwelling place.

Worship, Music,
& The Church

An interesting observation has caught my attention after working with the church over the years. I've observed what seems to be an overwhelming struggle as the search is on for finding common ground within the church as we encounter a cultural shift that has created for itself arguably one of the most diverse eras in church history. While we have Sunday morning gatherings singing traditional hymns out of a dusty red hymnal and resting in 18th century organ arrangements by Bach, we also have a modern uprising of Christian contemporary music that has expanded throughout various denominations of today but most heavily present in non-denominational gatherings. My perception on this diverse spectrum is that, essentially these different genres and forms of worship music are all purpose driven. They are filled with meaning and understanding that have survived in a church setting spaning across generations. To the extent that people are drawn to the lyrics, melody, or the format of the song in a way that allows them to relate and therefore sing because it resonates with something in their soul. As I stand back and attempt to look through the lens of every age group, denominational background, and musical preference, I begin to see certain individuals that truly desire to sing a song that speaks to them in a unique way.

Now let speak more practically when saying, I've experienced church gatherings in the past where a leader of authority would request songs to be played in the service that are considered modern such as the David Crowder's, the Hillsong's, and the Chris Tomlin's but when I observe my surroundings and those I interact with in a place that is brand new to me, I begin to recognize that a request such as this tends to be a push for what is desired to come in the future. Unfortunately, the heart of this particular congregation showed characteristics that thrive in a more traditional time of singing. All of this to say that I am in a place to view such a wide spectrum of music in the church that it has created a tug between personal views on what is too loud, too slow, too new, too old, too lyric driven, or even lacking in theological thought. As I continue to pursue this passion for leading people into a time of worship through music, I will most likely see this more and more yet I believe our call as disciples is to encourage and uplift those around us. Part of that calling is to equip the Church with an avenue in which they can partake in the act of singing while striving to remain faithful to the ways that Jesus lived. Maintaining a balance between our cultural influences in a diverse gathering is a helpful tool as we seek to impower followers of Christ to encounter a living God in our singing.

Worship at Loma
If you are...
-reading this right now
-want to get involved in worship
-a new student
-curious about info... then this flyer is for you.



Last video of the summer. Editor and Chief: Chris Evans

Untitled from Chris Evans on Vimeo.


Lead Week @ LOMA
This year, I'm leading a Homeless Ministry on campus called Bread of Life. The basic framework of what we do is looking at twofold... 1) We help serve a warm meal 2) We interact, converse, befriend these people. A typical Tuesday afternoon would look like this: jump in a PLNU van, drive to downtown San Diego, half of us walk around the streets handing out sack lunches, and the other half meets in the Salvation Army and serves a warm plate of food that is provided by Mid City Church of the Nazarene.

Skid Row :: Los Angeles, Ca
On August 15-17, all of the student ministry leaders returned to Loma and we headed out on a weekend retreat to LA. For two nights we slept in tents on the top roof of the Union Rescue Mission above Skid Row. This short retreat opened my eyes to smells, sights, and sounds that were each very new to me or a great reminder of what kind of living conditions people are facing in the second largest city in the wealthiest country in the world. As a collective group of thirty urban ministry leaders, we explored the diversity of Hollywood Blvd on a Saturday night, met and dialogged with Ron Benefiel (President of Nazarene Seminary School and great influence on the development of Skid Row during the '80s), received a tour of the major downtown sectors (I learned how to read graffiti), and we went to a Nazarene Church on one of the main corners of Skid Row (I felt like the famous gospel singer, Kirk Franklin was in the house, they were grooving). Overall, it was an incredible experience and I would love to do it again.

Good Morning front yard :: Downtown LA



Looking over the wall from the roof of the Rescue Mission. This is the entrance.





Walking around the streets of LA











Troy on Skid Row





Our home for the nights.

We visited Pink's Hot Dogs and this was a first for me! My guacamole, green peppers, and grilled onion dog lived up to it's reputation.



Last night at the Griffith Park Observatory.





La Jolla Cove :: After a day of rest, we explored Diego a bit.
To the Beach!

My Foreign Spaniard Friend, Kasey
.

This is Justin.

Amigos!

Game time.

Buck-Buck never goes away. Played it at summer camps and now at loma.

Justin, head over heals for this game.



Padres Game :: Student Ministries

Downtown trolley. San Diego, Ca

Taxi on the tracks. San Diego, Ca

This is the team, rocking the red.

Leslie y yo.

So, it was the annual "bring your dog to the park" night and I happened to find Beethoveen, or his brother.

I snuck into the pricy seats.

Gaslamp District, Downtown.

The tracks at night.

One way road.


Currently, I'm in a great time of transition as classes begin and schedules start to fill up but it's been a great start to the new year so far. If you're a prayer warrior and are able to remember to pray for me as I enter this 3rd year of college, I would be grateful for that. My prayer is that I would honor God with my time and recognized the blessings He has given me through Point Loma and the opportunity to learn from this incredible community around me.

Thanks for reading!

Enjoy the day,
Garrett

No comments: